Report Unclaimed Property

Submit Your Report Online

You are now required to file your unclaimed property report through our secure online portal.

hands typing on modern laptop

Submit your report using our secure, online portal

The ReportItTN online portal allows you to submit your unclaimed property report electronically to meet statutory requirements.

  • Secure, convenient, and easy-to-use
  • Gives instant confirmation that your report has been accepted
  • Provides for payment by ACH

Important: You are still required to create your NAUPA file prior to using the online reporting portal. Instructions and resources for creating the file and submitting your report are provided below.

Launch the ReportItTN secure online reporting portal

Helpful guides and resources

The ReportItTN online portal user manual provides step-by-step instructions for completing the online reporting process, including creating the NAUPA file. The Complete Reporting Guide covers the three-step process of holder reporting and includes class codes and dormancy period charts.

Download the ReportItTN portal user manual Download the Complete Reporting Guide

co-workers working on laptop and documents

NAUPA Unclaimed Property Authority logo

Creating the NAUPA file

You are required to create your NAUPA file prior to using the ReportItTN online portal. Our ReportItTN online reporting portal requires you to submit a file in the NAUPA format. Your NAUPA file may be a plain text file (.txt) or an encrypted file (.hde). You have several options in creating your NAUPA file.

Reporting software options

There are various vendors that supply Unclaimed Property reporting software.

The functionality and price of each option may differ slightly. A free, NAUPA-approved version is available through HRS Pro. You may also visit the NAUPA website to create your own NAUPA file.

female working on laptop in office

calendar on laptop with pencil

What to expect

Once we receive your holder report we will verify that it meets all the requirements.

If your holder report is rejected you will be contacted by phone and/or mail with an explanation of what items need to be corrected. Depending on the circumstances, penalties may start accruing on the November 1st due date, or we may provide a grace period for you to fix your report and resubmit it to our office. For more information on why reports may be rejected, please see the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Holder reporting mini training modules

You are required to create your NAUPA file prior to using the ReportItTN online portal. The following modules provide step-by-step guides for completing tasks within the ReportItTN online portal.

The unclaimed property process


Unclaimed Property 101


How to report unclaimed property in Tennessee
How to identify unclaimed property
How to locate the owner
Submitting Your Unclaimed Property Report
Reporting Securities As Unclaimed Property
Understanding Audits, Compliance & Negative Reports

For more material about holder responsibilities, quick tips and more,
please refer to the Complete Reporting Guide.

Download the Complete Reporting Guide

Frequently Asked Questions

Click any of the following questions to view the answer.

How do I contact the Unclaimed Property Division?

Please email us at:

At what times will I receive emails?

Emails are sent to confirm a user and when payments are received and processed.

Where can I find forms for requesting a refund, common property types, and more?

Please visit: Forms and Guides

When is the report and remittance due?

Reports are due by November 1st of each year. NOTE: The reporting deadline has changed from May 1st to November 1st, beginning in 2019. Please see Laws and Statutes for more information on the reporting deadline change.

Can I report and deliver property before the prescribed dormancy period has elapsed?

Yes, TCA 66-29-138(b) allows a holder to report before the statutory due date if due diligence requirements have been met.

What do I do if I forget my password?

From the log in page, select “forget your password?” you will receive an email to reset the password at the address provided.

What are the primary and secondary users?

A primary user manages the group of users, but all users (primary and secondary) are able to review and select files that have been submitted (completed or not completed), create a new report (positive or negative), and make payments on any existing file.

What should I do if a primary user leaves the company?

Contact the Unclaimed Property Division at so that the primary user can be switched from the inactive user to a secondary user.

How can someone else with my company make payments?

Once the person is registered as a secondary user, they can make payments on any file.

What is the difference between a positive and negative report?

A positive report has a value greater than $0.00 and a negative report is a $0.00 report.

Are negative reports required?

No. Effective with the 2006 annual reporting period, negative reports have not been required.

Which file formats are accepted? Can my file be encrypted?

The file you use to report unclaimed property on the web application should be the standard NAUPA formats: .txt, .hde or .rpt. use the .hde format for encrypted files.

What does it mean if the file selected to submit is rejected? What do the errors in the error report mean?

The system either accepts the entire file or rejects it. If the file is rejected, there is an error and the error report will detail the specific errors on each line inside the file.

What do I do now that I received errors after my file was rejected?

Once you have reviewed the errors in the error report, correct the mistakes you are able to, or contact the creator of the file in order to resolve all issues, and then resubmit. After trying this and using the complete reporting guide as a reference, you may contact the unclaimed property division if you are having trouble uploading the file.

Should I be cautious with error reports?

Yes. there may be sensitive PII on the downloaded error report; so proceed with necessary measures.

Can a file have multiple reports?

Yes, the file can have multiple reports.

How do I know which holder to choose when submitting a negative report?

Locate the holder by name and tax ID. You can delete the report if you happen to select the wrong holder.

Can I make payments? What are ACH payments?

All remitted funds should be made through the online portal ReportItTN by ACH (automated clearing house payments. you have the option to make ACH debit or ACH credit payments.

What should I do if my reporting organization does not have the capability to make an ACH payment?

If you are unable to make an ACH debit or ACH credit payment through the online portal ReportItTN you may request permission to make an alternative payment. The only other option is by Fed wire. you can make this request by emailing If approved you will be sent the Fed wire instructions. Payments made by check will be assessed penalties.

What is the most common error when making an ACH payment?

A debit-block may be on your account when the treasury attempts to pull the remitted funds, rejecting the transaction as an unauthorized debit. Contact your financial institutions prior to making payment and give them our company ID # u626001445 to allow the upcoming transaction.

How long does it take to process payments?

Normally, payments should be processed within three to five business days of the transaction.

How should securities and tangibles be remitted and what information is required?

Please refer to the complete reporting guide to remit all other property.

Contact Us

Have questions about reporting unclaimed property? We're here to help!

Unclaimed Property Division—Reporting

(615) 253.5362

Mailing Address

Unclaimed Property Division
P.O. Box 198649

Nashville, TN  37219-8649